Skip to main content

DAY 5 - Your Parents

My parents are lucky to have each other.
That's the best I'll say.

They were not this romantic kinda couple that were obviously in love, but they got along pretty well.
They argued sometimes, till I got heartsick, but they were back on the same team before anyone realized.

My parents have their faults, as everyone else does, but I think their weaknesses kinda suited themselves. Somehow.

My mom was a really smart woman.
My dad is intelligent.

I lost my mom almost 6 months ago, and while I wasn't her favorite child by any means, I realize she is a role model in more ways than one.

I mean, we always had all of this head-to head lock-ins because I didn't like my rights trampled on all the time, and she needed me to know she was the boss lady around the house and all.
Just kidding.

We just had a lot of misunderstandings because we were too very different people, my mom and I. 
She probably couldn't understand how a child of hers could be so non-conforming, different, and sometimes outrightly non-conciliatory.
But I also know I'm the child that loved and understood her the most.

I always thought I'd get around to making our relationship work out the way I always dreamed of... I always thought I had more time.

Maybe a little bit more time.

Turns out I didn't.

But I'm glad she had my other siblings, five of them.

My dad is a responsible man. He's the first person I know on earth on that list.
I want to say he is a good man, but good is relative.

My parents didn't agree on everything but they had basic rules they agreed on that no one dares to foul.
Except me, of course.
Or those inspired by me.

They are pretty religious people, and they know to provide for their own.

Neither of my parents are lazy, by any stretch of imagination.

My siblings and I don't have the whole world, but I believe we have more than enough to build on.

My parents are not the best in the world, but I'm lucky I have and had them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 9 - Write about Happiness

I wake up this bright morning with peace in my heart, and a sunny smile on my face because I had a great night. My little boy is stroking my chin with his tiny fingers...and as I open my eyes he flashes me his wide two-toothed grin. This is like the sweetest feeling in the world I pull him into my bosom and hug him, then I pick him up and head towards the kitchen. My darling husband is there with the girls, as they try so hard to replicate my new sushi recipe. It's Saturday, and everybody is home. Breakfast will soon be ready and... INTERMISSION Everybody has a dream, no matter how tiny. Something you look forward to. Something you long for. Something you wish for. That feeling that comes with having your dreams fulfilled, that's happiness. That feeling of no care for the world, that's happiness. That feeling of contentment, security, and gratitude, that's happiness. That feeling when you care about what the world thinks about you, that's happiness. That feeling whe...