Third day going and I almost forgot.
😁😁😁
Talking about memories, I have lots of them.
Everyone does really.
Good memories.
Bad memories.
The in-betweens.
I'm just gonna pull a quick draft and narrate whatever "shareable" memory that comes to mind.
(Some things are better left unsaid. Sorry. 😌)
So, this one it is.
It was a day of the week. Can't remember which one in particular.
I was visiting home from school. It was quite late in the evening, and my school was about four hours away from where my parents lived.
(Boy did they hate night travels and all.)
Now, I really don't like being pressured, you know, especially when I was already tensed up about being on the road very late, and that was exactly what my parents' calling every other 15 minutes to check up on me was going to do.
(Phew! That was a long sentence right there. But I'm not about to revise it.)
So, I considered it was best for my mental health that I turn my phone off or put it on airplane mode. Maybe I did both.
Some minutes later, we halted our journey for a brief moment. There'd been an accident and it was the bus I could have boarded. (Dunno I think someone displaced me from on it or something.)
Our driver being so humane offered to pick up some of the victims so they can get quicker access to medicare.
We didn't have so much space left but we all agreed to squeeze in, and make room for the onboarders.
All this while, I had a funny woman sitting directly behind me. Immediately we became aware of the accident and our bus stopped, she was one of the first people to jump down from the bus and rush to the accident victims.
(I stayed on the bus. I'm blood-averse. Thank you.)
I honestly taught she had something she wanted to offer. Next thing I knew, she unsheathed her phone and began clicking away, taking photos of the wounded people, amidst shouts of "blood of Jesus" and things like that.
Haba nau.
Before anyone could say jack to her, she was already on a call with her sister narrating how gruesome the accident was, and had sent those photos to her via WhatsApp.
Through all of this, she didn't lift a finger to help in any way, and I think she murmured about the bus being stuffed up and stuff like that.
I'm not a good judge of intent, and I really do not know what made her act that way, but I was really hurt.
Humans first, phones later.
Comments
Post a Comment